Sunday, September 1, 2013

Prague: The Fairy Tale City

Prague is one of those cities that everyone raves about – its beauty, its history, its charm. So I decided I had to go. When my recruiter told me I shouldn’t book a flight to Moscow until I received confirmation on my visa processing, I figured instead of book a last minute (and probably more expensive) flight to Moscow, I’d book an early cheap flight to Prague, then a last minute flight to Moscow from there. After saying goodbye to everyone in Wisconsin, Minnesota, then Colorado, I took off for Prague via two layovers (cheap ticket) in Chicago and London. I finally arrived in Prague a day and a half later, jet lagged and sleep deprived. I checked into the hostel after lugging my suitcase (a big change from always traveling light) up the freakishly slanted metro escalator steps (I was seriously concerned for my trip back down the escalator with my suitcase in three days time due to the odd design that made everyone look like they were going to tumble straight down any second) and down the cobblestone streets of Prague. Once I dumped my stuff, took a shower, and had some time to compose myself, I took off on a little walking tour of Prague for orientation.

Old Town Square

Prague looks like a fairy tale city. It is one of the best preserved medieval towns in Europe, with a variety of architecture and charm that makes every street pleasant to walk down. The Old Town Square was my favorite place to hang out and watch tourists, but I fell in love with the Charles Bridge and its view of Prague Castle early the next morning, when I got up at 6 am to beat the crowds and see the sun rise over the Charles Bridge. 

Charles Bridge, Prague. 
I love the idea of “waking up with the city,” as Paul Theroux described it in one of his travel books, when just a few people are out starting their day, the streets are quiet, and everything glows in the early morning light. That morning (the day before I only managed to walk around for a few hours then passed out at the hostel early) I got myself fantastically lost two times, took lots of pictures, and enjoyed every new twist and turn down the streets to see what view I would come upon next. I actually never really oriented myself very well in Prague after three days, as the streets are pretty windy and tended to set me off in the complete opposite direction than where I thought I was going. But, as always, that’s the best way to learn, and I was rewarded with new discoveries each time I got lost.

View of Prague Castle
                I didn’t do much in Prague besides walk and take pictures, but I did cough up entry fees to both the Prague Museum of Communism and Prague Castle. The Communism Museum outlined the history of communism in Prague, between the end of World War II and the advent of the collapse of the Soviet Union. The story is typical among most communist outlines: collectivization didn’t work, children were indoctrinated in their textbooks, and everyone was essentially brainwashed to ‘serve the state.’ Footage of live protests and riots in some of Prague’s main gathering areas, including Old Town Square and Wencelsclas Square put the events into better perspective for me. Czechoslovakia was famous for the “Velvet Revolution,” which alludes to the smooth transition from communism to a republic, followed by the splitting of Czechoslovakia into the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993.

St. Vitus' Cathedral
                The next day I took my history lesson back to the medieval period, where I learned more about Prague Castle, situated on top of a hill above the Vlatava River, and its Bohemian kings. I arrived right at opening time, and was so glad for my timing especially when I returned to the entrance two hours later and found it swarming with tour groups. I enjoyed the old cathedral, the original castle, constructed in the 9th century, and the castle grounds with relative peace and quiet. I learned that the founder of Prague castle was the grandfather of Wenceslas, of the Christmas Carol “Good King Wenceslas.” Though Wenceslas was revered as a saint and the “eternal protector of the Bohemian lands,” he was never actually a king. I guess “Good Duke Wenceslas” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. After touring the castle complex I hung out in the castle gardens for a while and took in the views of the city from the heights of the eastward facing castle – I bet Wenceslas saw many a beautiful sunrise in his day.
View from Prague Castle
Beef Goulash
                Prague offered many advertisements for ‘authentic’ and ‘traditional’ foods, to make the tourists happier, but as always, I was traveling on a budget and therefore only indulged in one ‘Czech’ meal, at a restaurant from a recommendation book at the hostel written by local Prague residents. I chose the menu of the day in Czech, as there was no English translation for the specials, only the full priced meals, and was treated to a hearty plate of goulash (basically beef stew), bread dumplings, shredded horseradish (interesting…), and some veggies. It was delicious, and 1/3 cheaper than the more touristy restaurant next door advertising the same dish. Win. Other Czech speciatlies that I noticed on menu boards seemed to be roasted duck, garlic soup, and a type of sausage that looked like a giant hot dog on a baguette.

Morning sunrise
                I felt like I was getting my traveling legs (and sore traveling feet) back during my three days in Prague, and it was thrilling to be back in Europe after three years and reminded so much of the beauty I experienced three years before. To me, there’s really nothing to compare a beautiful Gothic cathedral to in the world, and I enjoyed running back through my Western civilization courses in my head to review architecture, empires, and dynasties so that I could put Prague’s history into a better perspective. I’ve never spent much time studying Central or Eastern Europe, so I’m hoping the next nine months in Russia will help round out my European history education. It was fun to hear familiar languages again, like French and Spanish, and to try to guess where people were from. My stopover in Prague was the perfect introduction to the next year I have to look forward to in Europe, and now that I’m finally on my way to Moscow, I’m very excited to get back to work, have a place to live for more than a month at a time, and meet some new people.

                My layover here in Stockholm is just about over, so that’s it for now. I’ll write more from Moscow – I’ve got a week of orientation coming up, then I imagine I’ll start teaching a week from Monday. Wish me luck, and enjoy your Labor Day weekend! 








No comments:

Post a Comment