Sunday, January 26, 2014

Bonus Blog: A Night in Kiev

                I was going to mention my layover in Kiev in my previous blog, as it was on the way home from Germany, but after recent events this past week I decided to make it a separate post, as there is far too much information to include. Thanks to my friend Suze, who lived in Ukraine last year, I’ve learned the basics of the most recent Ukrainian conflict, starting last November, but I realized how much I still had to learn while spending an evening there about two and a half weeks ago. Flashback to Wednesday, January 9th, 2014:
Kiev
                Chelsea drove me to the airport that next morning and we said goodbye. I was on my own again, and had four classes to teach the next day. However, my adventure wasn’t quite over yet. That afternoon I had a short flight to Kiev, Ukraine, where I would be spending the night, then flying back to Moscow in the morning. I had also had a long layover in Kiev on my flight to Germany, but I didn’t get out to explore like I had planned because of bad weather. Instead, I stayed at the airport and made friends with the girl working at the 24 hour café, who very sweetly gave me a free apple at the end of her shift to solidify our friendship. But this time was my last chance to see a little of Kiev until who knows when. My plan was to land, take the airport bus to the central train station, then walk around to see Independence Square, St. Michael’s Monastery, and then St. Sophia’s Cathedral. All were within walking distance and manageable to see within an hour or two.
Central Train Station, Kiev
                Though today Ukraine is an independent country, with its own traditions and language, (however, it should be noted that a good portion of Ukraine is Russian speaking) if you really want to get to the heart of Russian history you have to go back to Ukraine. Founded around the 6th century, Kiev was the first capital city of ‘Rus,’ and experienced a Golden Age of great prosperity in the 10th-12th centuries, while Russia proper was still made up of bands of tribesmen living in the forest. In 988, a missionary from Constantinople converted the Kievan Slavs to Christianity, thus founding the Russian Orthodox Church. By the 13th century the Mongols began their invasions, and after decades of Mongol rule, Kiev lost its power and the head of the church was relocated to Moscow. Beginning with the Mongols, a series of wars and battles caused Kiev to be bounced around from principality to principality such as Lithuania and Poland for a few centuries, before finally being returned to Russia in the 17th century. By then, Ukraine had started to develop its own national identity, which the Russian tsars tried to discourage by implementing a policy of ‘Russification.’ This policy backfired, as the national identity grew even stronger throughout the succeeding years of Romanov rule. Ukraine achieved autonomy in 1917, but of course, it became a part of the Soviet Union shortly after. In 1991, Ukraine finally became an independent nation, but as we can see from recent events, it has some problems. It is still a very new nation, and there are many facets of division within.

                I apologize if you weren’t in the mood for a history lesson, but I promise there was a purpose in teaching you. For the past two months there have been nonviolent protests in Independence Square as a result of President Viktor Yanukovych withdrawing his attendance from a meeting to discuss Ukraine’s potential involvement with the European Union. Instead, he began talks and ended up striking an economic deal with Russia’s President Putin. This move outraged a great deal of the Ukrainain population, as more are in favor of looking towards the West for the future instead of becoming involved with Russia and the East again. Shortly after this decision to avoid the EU meeting, rallies and peaceful protests broke out in Independence Square, with the citizens building barricades and arming themselves in case of a clash. They wanted their voices to be heard. For two months these people were held at bay, with protesters and demonstrations every day, but no violence. Just this past week, (beginning January 19th) violence has finally ensued, with at least five casualties to date and more fights within other Ukranian cities.

                Fortunately, the night I was in Ukraine things were calm. I landed from Frankfurt, hopped on the airport bus, got out at the central train station…and found myself standing in the pouring rain with my backpack. Great. I was tempted to just go back to the airport and hang out at the coffee shop, but I told myself this was my chance. What if I never get back to Ukraine again – was I really going to waste this opportunity? Of course not. After I slapped some sense into myself I went into the train station and did the only thing to do: I bought an umbrella, and began walking. Well, first I took the metro to the Independence Square stop. Then I started walking.
Independence Square
As I approached the Maidan, the oval shaped center in front of the Square, I could hear…singing. I walked closer and was shocked to see people standing in the rain, listening to some women singing on a stage while holding the Ukranian flag. There were spectators and policemen alike roaming around, so I could only assume they were singing protest or nationalist songs. Either way, it was beautiful to observe, but it was also cold and wet, and I was on a mission. After furtively taking some pictures, I located the street I was supposed to walk down to see St. Michael’s Monastery and I took off, using the Maidan as a shortcut route. As I began my walk, I was shocked to find myself right in the middle of homemade barriers and defense structures. I had no idea things were still so tense nor that the barriers from November still existed (or had been built upon.) It was like a scene straight out of Les Miserables. I wasn’t scared, and I didn’t see any people under the tarps, but I knew I shouldn’t linger and take pictures for very long as there were probably people watching me, and I had a bright blue backpack strapped to my waist. I quickly exited and walked up my street, past some policemen, and left the protest site.


St. Sophia's Cathedral
                There were still plenty of people walking around in the rain with their umbrellas, so I felt safe, but even as I reached the monastery I noticed other barriers in smaller areas around the city. There were makeshift tents with fire to keep warm were set up in corners, and I saw a few people walking back and forth from these areas with what looked like food. I was delighted to see the monastery, but it was difficult to make out all of it. I learned later that the churches had turned off the lights on some of Kiev’s most famous sights in order to help hide some of the activists. I stood under a bus stop to get out of the rain for a while, feeling sorry for the book that didn’t fit anywhere except the outside pocket of my backpack, and was likely getting wetter by the minute. By then, I was a straight shot from St. Sophia’s, so I oriented myself and made my way to the beautiful cathedral complex, originally dating back to the 11th century. Again, it was difficult to fully see in the dark, but it was still stunning.
St. Michael's Monastery
                I was closer to a different metro station than my original one, so I decided to make a full loop, as the rain was tapering off by then. I walked past another part of the city center, passing the beautiful Theater, some government buildings, and ended my walk at the Golden Gate, the original southern entrance to the medieval city of Kiev. I decided to quit while I was ahead, and went back inside to take the metro. I had one last bit of fun though, as I skipped over the train station stop and went a couple more stops beyond, so that I could ride up and down the deepest metro station in the world, at 105.5 meters below ground. It took 4 and a half minutes to ride up, then I got yelled at for not properly exiting and buying a new ticket, since I just hopped over and took the opposite escalator down. But hey, I got away with it. I made my way back to the train station, found the airport bus, bought some street food, and I was back at the airport by midnight.  
Golden Gates of Kiev

The remaining six hours until boarding were spent reading, walking around, having coffee, and finally getting a few hours of sleep before heading back to Moscow for a full day of teaching. Was I tired? Yes. Did I barely make it through my four classes before passing out in my bed? Yes. But was it worth it to have my night in Kiev? Yes. I was grateful for the opportunity to see for my own eyes not only the protests sites, but also the former glory of Kiev. Both deepened my understanding of the past and the present. Ukraine’s historical ties to Russia will always complicate things when trying to deal with Western Europe, as it is caught in the middle. Ukraine sees the appeal of the mostly prosperous European Union, yet it feels the tugging and pulling from Mother Russia. After this past week, all we can hope for is that the violence will stop as quickly as possible, and that it will serve as an eye opener to the Ukrainian government to listen more to the Ukrainian people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment